Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-10 of 10
Why can't I speak to the Judge directly?
In order for the Judge to remain impartial, he cannot hear one side of the case without the other side present.
What should I do if I'm the victim in a case?
Keep in contact with the Prosecutor's Office and the Victim's Advocate. They will keep you informed of how the case is progressing.
If I have an attorney, can I file motions on my own?
If you have an attorney, private or court appointed, the filings presented to the Court must come from your attorney.
I have written a letter to the Judge, but I haven't received a response?
Many of the letters the Court receives are from family members of defendants and cannot be addressed by the Court. Those that are received from defendant's themselves are addressed either by entry, the Court setting a hearing, or if the defendant is represented by counsel, the letter may be referred to counsel.
What should I do if I can't make it to a hearing?
If you know you are going to be late for a hearing, call the court and tell them when you expect to arrive. If you know ahead of time that you will be unable to attend a scheduled hearing and need to request a continuance, you must do so in writing, and you must notify the opposing party of your intention to request a continuance. Phone calls for continuances are not accepted unless it is an emergency situation.
What if I can't afford to hire an attorney?
If you find that you are unable to hire an attorney and need the Court to appoint an attorney to represent you, you must make that request in writing. The Court will then set a hearing to determine if you are indigent for purposes of appointing counsel.
I think I missed a court date and there may be a warrant out for my arrest. What should I do?
If you think there is a warrant out for your arrest, you should turn yourself in to the Sheriff's Department as soon as possible. If it is a civil case and a body attachment has been issued, you should turn yourself in to the Sheriff's Department.
Can I appear by telephone?
Hearings may be held over the telephone only with consent of the Court. Requests must be made in writing in advance.
What if I have questions about my case?
Procedural questions may be answered by either the Clerk's Office or the Court. At no time can any member of the Clerk's office or the Court give you legal advice. Only an attorney may advise you and you may be told to seek the advice of an attorney.
What if I need extra time to pay my probation user's fee, pay my restitution, pay my fines and costs, complete my community service work?
All restitution payment arrangements are made with the Prosecutor's Office - you should contact the Victim Assistance Advocate. If you are on probation, you should contact your probation officer to request an extension to pay user fees, fines, costs and complete community service. If you are not on probation and wish to request an extension to pay fines and costs, you may write a letter to the Court.
Results 1-10 of 10

Contact the County

220 West Van Buren Street
Columbia City, IN 46725
Commissioners / Council
Assessor | Auditor
Recorder | Treasurer
County Coordinator / HR
Economic Development
Engineer/Surveyor / GIS
Health Dept / Immunizations
Joint Planning & Building
WIC | File Management
101 West Van Buren Street
Columbia City, IN 46725
Whitley Circuit Court
Whitley Superior Court
Clerk of Circuit Court
County Prosecutor
County IV-D Offices
Maintenance | Security
101 West Market Street
Columbia City, IN 46725
County Sheriff / Jail
Community Corrections
Emergency Management
County Probation | Dispatch
County Highway
County History Museum
Purdue Extension Office
Soil & Water Cons. District