Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-17 of 17
Can I make a partial payment?
Yes, but the full amount will need to be paid by the due date to avoid penalties on the unpaid balance.
How do I get a receipt for my tax payment?
When making payment in person, we will print a receipt. When mailing a payment, your cancelled check will act as your receipt.
Why does the previous owner's name show up on my bill?
If you purchase a property after the March 1st assessment date, then the previous owners name will appear as the deeded owner on your tax statement.
How do I verify that you have received my payment?
Going to our home page and clicking on "Whitley County GIS" will allow you to look up your tax information. You may look up your taxes by name, property address or parcel number. This site is updated nightly. You may also contact our office and we can verify your payment. Please have your property (parcel) number available when you call.
Do I have all the exemptions I qualify for?
Exemptions are filed in the Auditor's Office. You can find valuable information on their website page or contact them at 260-248-3100.
Do you accept postmarks?
Yes, a payment is "on time" if the envelope has a USPS postmark that has a date on or before the due date. Please, be aware of postal deadlines to make sure your payment gets an "on time" postmark. (Postmarks are valid for regular tax payments only and do not apply to properties certified for tax sale.)
When is a property eligible for tax sale?
All parcels with a balance due from spring of the prior year or before are eligible for tax sale. You have a year to redeem the property but you will also have to pay tax sale fees, interest on the minimum bid and daily accruing interest on any surplus. A courtesy tax sale letter will be mailed prior to certification of properties. You have until the day before the sale to pay the delinquent taxes.
Why didn't I get notified that my taxes were delinquent?
We send out one billing in the spring of each year. That bill has two payment stubs; one to make a payment in May and another for November. You may check Whitley County GIS to check the status of your taxes.
What needs to be done to obtain a mobile home title transfer or moving permit?
If possible bring the mobile home title to the Treasurer's office to obtain a permit. If you do not have the title, we need the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the trailer and the size of the mobile home. If obtaining a moving permit you need to provide the new location address. We also need the name of the current mobile home owner to verify the taxes have been paid. To obtain a title transfer or moving permit all of the taxes must be paid for the year. If it is after the January 15th assessment date you must pay an estimated tax for the next year.
I never received my tax bill?
Contact our office at 260-248-3105. We will verify your mailing address and email a new bill to you.
Why do I have property taxes?
We've all become accustomed to the level of services provided by our local community. Schools, police and fire protection and libraries are only a few of the amenities property taxes make possible. Without property taxes, we couldn't support any of the above.
How do I pay my tax bill?
You may pay your tax bill in person, by mail, at the drop box located on the north side of the County Government Center Building, or you may pay online with a credit card.
Is there any way I can reduce my taxes?
There are a number of exemptions available to qualifying taxpayers. The County Auditor can provide you with information and assist you in determining whether or not you qualify. By visiting the Auditor's web page you can find more information concerning exemptions or call them at 260-248-3100. Another way to reduce your taxes is to ensure the assessed value of your property is correct. To learn about assessment and appeal procedures visit the County Assessor's web page or call 260-248-3109.
Will I receive a statement for my fall installment of taxes?
All Tax Statements are mailed out in the spring and have payment coupons for the Spring and Fall installments.
I need to change my mailing address.
Contact the County Auditor's office at 260-248-3100.
My recycling has not been picked up.
Please contact the Solid Waste department at 260-248-3132.
What should I do if there is a solid waste fee on by statement and there isn't a house on the property?
Please contact the Solid Waste department at 260-248-3132.
Results 1-17 of 17